A77ii, so who is planning on getting one?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,800Gear list
Like?
Re: A77ii, so who is planning on getting one?
In reply to Yemble, 7 months ago

Yemble wrote:

rgwaller1 wrote:

It is time for me to update my camera so I will be getting one and use my A77 as my backup. Have been using my A580 as backup. I do a lot of BIF and the new A77ii will be a welcomed up grade.

If you already own an A77 Mk 1., then why not buy an A99 which would be a significant upgrade?

While the A99 is tempting and has some advantages, you also lose in others:

• While labeled as 1/250s flash sync, many have to choose a slower sync speed when using strobes.
  • Slower frame rate.
  • Only a ~10MP 1.5x crop mode.
  • Smaller AF frame coverage (A77 AF sensor in a full frame body).
  • No built in flash. I rarely use it, but it does come in handy when you are in a pinch and don't have your hotshoe flash on hand.
  • Also due to no built in flash, you have nothing to trigger your other flashes.  You are then required to by an extra flash just to use as a trigger if using Sony's Wireless mode.
  • More expensive.

With exception to the cost for me, these are some of the reasons why I have been hesitant to upgrading to the A99.

Now if they were to release an A99II or 'r' variant that used the 36MP sensor and they corrected some of the A99's other shortcomings, then I would be strongly tempted to go that route.  At least with 36MP, I can get close to a 16MP crop with my APS-C lenses.

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
I amNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow