ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
IY
IY
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Sony SEL20f28 vs. Sigma 30mm f2.8 EX DN
5 months ago

I am a relatively new photographer and have been reading these forums for a while, they are amazing and very helpful.  I had a Canon T2i before I purchased the A6000 and sold my Canon gear.  I also purchased the Sigma 30mm f2.8 EX DN because I love shooting with a prime lens ( I had a 50mm prime for my Canon).  I was originally interested in the SEl20f28 but did not want to spend for it, so I bought the Sigma.  I just purchased the SEL20f28 in the current best buy sale and am considering selling the Sigma and keeping the Sony.

I mostly shoot pictures of my 2 year old son running around.  Playing outside, inside, at events, at disney, at the park, etc.  I love the effects I get from a prime lens, the bokeh, and the clarity of the pictures. I also shoot the rest of my family at family events ,holidays, as well as my son playing with his friends. The 30mm has been a fine focal length for me, but I like how small the 20mm sony is.  Would I be making a mistake keeping the Sony and Selling the Sigma? I typically shoot in jpeg and do not currently do any post production. I almost always shoot in aperture priority.

I have been very impressed with the A6000 and have been playing with settings.  I have a lot to learn and think the A6000 and this forum are a great place to start.  Do you think the 20mm wide angle will be fine for my intended use, or am I better off keeping the Sigma?  With the 20mm it is really easy to grab the camera, throw it in a coat pocket and go. I realize it is not that much smaller than the Sigma, but it will make it easier for me to stick the camera in my wifes purse or the diaper bag (I use a tight fitting neoprene case if I am just bringing the camera and attached lens and don't need extra batteries or anything).

Thanks for all the help!

IY's gear list:IY's gear list
Sony a6000 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony a6000 Sony E 20mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow