Can we have too much Dynamic Range?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870Gear list
Like?
Re: Can we have too much Dynamic Range?
In reply to meland, 6 months ago

meland wrote:

Not wishing to be provocative since virtually everyone seems to think more DR is better, but can we have too much Dynamic Range? Can a sensor with a greater DR produce end up producing results that look 'flat' without post processing?

You can arguably control it in-camera via ISO (which kills your DR) - depending on the sensor size, you could have four to seven stops of DR "control" via ISO alone (before noise becomes more of an issue).

But just like I'd rather shoot black & white in color and switch it over in post so you can control color channels better, for similar reasons I'd rather shoot with high dynamic range and work on it later in post (the only image I can imagine wanting to kill dynamic range are silhouettes where you want perfect blacks, but maybe that's my lack of imagination).

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow