Steve W
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?
Re: New FE Lens Announced - Zeiss 16-35mm F4.0
In reply to DtEW, 7 months ago

DtEW wrote:

captura wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Also, I have seen some talk about their APS-C lenses on the the A7R like the Zeiss 12mm Touit. This is a great lens but I wouldn't and didn't spend $1750 - $2200 for a 36 MP camera to use it as a 16 MP APS-C. Fuji does that really well for $750 - $1000 less. Heck the A6000 I'm told does that really well. IMO using the A7R body at less than FF is a waste of money.

The new-coming Fuji XT2 will be full-frame but unlike Sony, the Fuji lenses for the present APS-C X-cameras will not be interchangeable with the new lenses for the XT2.

So in that way, Sony did it better.

I will venture to say that Sony didn't do it better, but rather that Fuji did it worse.

It needs to be remembered that APS-C & FF sensor sizes sharing one mount is more of the dominant industry paradigm (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.) than the exception.

All those examples and Fuji goes, "nah, we're going to optimize the mount for the APS-C light circle and preclude the FF option. Nobody could possibly want a FF MILC in the future."

Who knows what Fuji was thinking. Regardless, it was short-sighted.

IMO nobody did anything right or wrong. I bought a A7R to get 36 Mpixels in FF. While I might own crop frame lenses on the same mount can be an easy path for an upgrade its no replacement for a native lens that uses the full sensor.  I can buy a Touit 12mm + A6000 for less than an A7R body and get more pixels on the image.

In Canon's case EF-S lenses do not work on their FF bodies so they didn't provide their customers with an upgrade path. Nikon and Sony did but don't miss the point. Canon and Nikon don't expect their customers to live with a crop frame lens on their top of the line 5D III or D800/E. The created great prime solutions and in some cases great UWA zoom solutions.  All I'm saying is Sony better do the same or the A7R is a failed experiment IMO.

Maybe Sony only priced the A7R at $2200 and then offered it for $1750 knowing they could never offer lenses that would make the body worth $3200 that Nikon wanted for the D800E? 

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow