Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,138
Like?
Re: Not in my book!
In reply to meland, 5 months ago

meland wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I'll take all you got! DR isn't about how flat and lifeless a photo can be, it is about finding the exact level of contrast that works for the photo in question. Just because I have a tool doesn't mean I have to use that tool.

The difference between a photographer and a snapshooter is control. The photographer knows how much he has, knows how to use it, and when to stop using it.

-- hide signature --

Of course. A 'photographer', assuming he is skilled and knowledgeable enough, should know.

But how about someone who is not in that bracket and is just using out of the camera JPEGs?

A camera manufacturer won't produce ugly OOC jpgs and remain a camera manufacturer for long. Just because a camera/sensor/lens combo is capable of wide DR, doesn't mean the manufacturer is obligated (or stupid enough!) to deliver dull lifeless photos.

Most manufacturers now tend to overexpose photos anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of an EV. Why? to make the jpg photos look a tad 'brighter'. The cameras are fully capable of delivering a properly exposed photo, and many can be changed to do so. The manufacturers will auto deliver the images that SELL the most cameras.

It's the same with contrast.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow