K-5 Blurry Night Shots WITH Tripod

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,979Gear list
Like?
Re: Night shooting has the odds stacked against you.
In reply to davids8560, 5 months ago

davids8560 wrote:

I don't think most people realize how much understanding and planning a really good night shot takes to achieve. Especially those brilliant shots of the milky way. This is the domain of photo technicians who are willing to distance every obstacle as far as possible from their goal. That means a tripod and head rated for at least twice the weight, never extending the center column, hanging weights from the tripod to reduce wind and shutter effects. Using mirror lockup and remote shutter release or time delay, dark frame subtraction, MF with distance scale on the lens, and showing up when the atmosphere, location, lighting, and weather is just so. There are people who really like this type of challenge. We look forward to seeing how it works out for you.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Thanks Seth,

I have two questions:

1. Do I do MLU, and use the remote together?

2. I'm still unsure about DFS. Is it a program line in the menus?

Also, I don't have tripod weights. What do people use? I only have three lenses with distance scales. They are 28-50-55mm M and M42 primes. Will they do?

Thanks.

Greetings Dave,

1. Depending on the system, both can be used. Depressing the shutter with your hand can cause movement as can the mirror slap. Alternatively, you can use a 12 sec. delay and press the button with your hand to at least reduce the first cause of movement. Different systems work differently here. I'm coming from Olympus systems.

2. I'm not as familiar with Pentax menus as other there, so I'll leave that for them. On my Olympus, yes, it's in the menu.

3. Many tripods have a hook on the bottom of the center column and photographers will either attach a bag that they set a rock in or hang their gear bag with other lenses on it. That's assuming there isn't a lot of wind. If there is wind, setting up the tripod wide without legs extended might work better.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow