Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,334Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to ttbek, 7 months ago

ttbek wrote:

Sorry to grab you on another one. But what Mark said implies that LR does need to create the intermediate file. Take CUPS for example above, it has various filters http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html#2_5 that will convert various image formats to a bitmap for printing, but RAW files are not one of those things, so LR actually must hand off some other file between itself and CUPS, it probably exports a bitmap directly but that's just my best guess. If we were talking about a program with a file that was already in a format that a driver or CUPS filter, etc.. could convert then what Mark said would have supported your thoughts on this. Then again, the file held in RAM for the editing it probably already a bitmap, but that is approximated for speed during editing, so it likely still needs to generate the file for print.

I don't feel "grabbed", but thanks for being polite. I really don't mind being corrected if it adds to my understanding.

As I've said before, my only focus was on the notion that either a jpeg or a tiff was temporarily created by LR and then sent to the printer. That is exactly what I never heard of before and didn't accept. Again, as I've said before, I don't fully understand the process of how LR converts what I see on my screen to what I get in the final print.

Thank you for the link. I'm studying it.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow