ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stratman1976
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Switching to Nikon (from Sony)?
2 months ago

Hello guys,

I've been thinking of stepping up to a full-frame camera and i need your advice.

Until now, i have been using the Sony Alpha700 with:

• SAL16-80cz (outdoor use, mostly wide angle end (70%) and tele (30%))
  • Sigma 30mm 1.4 (indoors, people)
  • Sigma 105 2.8 macro (both indoors/outdoors)

The problem is, that the SAL1680 needs repair (€550) and is for APS-C. While on my last holiday, it got bumped and the focus ring got stuck. So its going to cost me money, no matter what.

So, missing my SAL1680 makes me want to come up with a solution.

The situation is:

• I love my Alpha700, ergonomics and handling are superb, except for high ISO use
  • My SAL1680 was my most used lens, love the color, reach and contrast, but has always lacked sharpness. Do i want to invest in repairing it?
  • Been thinking of buying a tele zoom (70-200, 70-300)
  • Been thinking about stepping up to FF anyway, so this may be the right time to rethink the brand i use before i invest. Don't have too much of a pricey glass collection at the moment
  • I shoot mainly landscapes, cities, people and some macro
  • I am a serious amateur, looking to step up
  • Rather invest in glass than body

My thinking:

• Sony FF cameras & glass are/is pricey, limited choice of lenses. With Canikon, there's much more to choose from.
  • Saw a friends D7000 + 16-85 and was shocked how sharp it was as compared to my SAL1680
  • Saw my brothers 6D and again was shocked (DOF/sharpness)
  • Thinking of switching to Nikon/Canon for future guaranteed brand existence and glass investment.
  • Want to invest in good glass, but am not a pro
  • Maybe, in the future, add an APS-C body for tele work
  • Resolution of 20MP or more is fine (coming from 12)

What i've tried (Started with just the body handling and ergonomics):

• Sony: Liked the SLT-A99 body A LOT, but too pricey, really did not like the smaller FF A7 bodies
  • Canon: Did not like any of the bodies, except the 5DIII, again too pricey
  • Nikon: Liked most of the bodies. In terms of price and functions, the D610 has caught my eye. Body felt okay, not as good as the SLT-A99, but will do.

I prefer the D610 on terms of ergonomics and handling, but i am sure that the D610 and 6D are both great choices.

I've read the dpreview in-depth reviews of both and the D610 seemed to have a little bit of an upper hand. What i like about the D610 as compared to the 6D is the built-in flash and the number of focus points.

My questions to you guys:

• Would the D610 be a good choice for the purposes described above?
  • What lenses would you recommend?

The lenses i am considering are:

• a 50 mm prime
  • wide angle zoom
  • standard zoom
  • tele zoom
  • In the future perhaps a macro

The are also options like the 24-120 or 28-300, are they any good?

i am wondering whether i need a standaard zoom, because when using the SAL1680 i mainly used either the 16-20 end or the 65-80 end. Never in between. Perhaps a wide angle prime/zoom or tele zoom would suffice?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Jeffrey

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow