New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Too expensive?
In reply to John Gellings, 4 months ago

John Gellings wrote:

It's a little bit expensive, but then again ... it's the only camera of its type. The Ricoh GR and Nikon Coolpix A have larger sensors but are fixed wide angle cameras. The Nikon 1 series lenses don't retract enough to be truly pocketable in pants.

$850 can buy a better camera, but maybe not at this size. If this rumor pans out, it appears that Sony added everything most people who used the MK1 and MKII versions wanted.

Agree in general, but not about the last part: apparently quite some current RX100-1/2 users are disappointed. I think the RX100-3 appeals most to people who were not really happy with the RX100-1/2 (and didn't buy it, or sold it for something else).

I'm interested after swearing off the II version... I felt the Ricoh GR was better at 28mm and that it was too slow at the 50-100mm mark.

24mm will come in handy and the fast aperture will be nice at telephoto. Makes more sense than the tiny m4/3 cameras with larger lenses (GM1).

For telephoto I don't think there is a big gain. What most people want is better DOF control, and shrinking the maximum tele from 100 to 70 makes using limited DOFmore difficult. The smaller maximum tele is compensated by a little over 1 stop (?) gain in aperture compared to 70mm on the RX100-1/2, but in the end the gain for DOF is relatively small. With the originally rumored f/1.8-2.8 28-100mm the gain would have been much more obvious.

My main concern is image quality: how will it compare to a GM1 with the 12-32 (24-64 equiv.) kit zoom? The GM1 zoom is slow but good quality. If the RX100-3 has the same optical quality, 1.5-2 stops more usable aperture (on equivalent basis less because of sensor size), an EVF + tiltscreen and hopefully an improved IS unit it should be an excellent alternative to the GM1.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow