$400 or thereabouts, in used camera gear.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Murdey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,383Gear list
Like?
$400 or thereabouts, in used camera gear.
2 months ago

That amount of money seems to be able to get you any one of the following,

1) Sony RX-100

2) V1 double zoom kit

3) EOS M double lens kit (with flash and EF mount adapter)

4) NEX5 or similar Olympus PEN / Panasonic GF double zoom kit.

5) D3100 double zoom kit

I don't know what the value proposition here is. I mean if someone walked up to me and said "I have $400 for a used camera and lenses, which of the above should I get?" I wouldn't know how to answer.

I've ordered them above from smallest to largest. So you can say: "well, pick your size and go with that". Or if you eliminate 1,3, and 4 on the "no viewfinder no sale" axiom it comes down to a simple choice of "dSLR or compact?".

Looking at the list it strikes me that the RX-100 is overpriced for what you get, while the EOS M seems like a really good deal, provided you can live with "powershot" handling. [the post-firmware update AF performance seems to be reasonable]

Thinking about it some more perhaps the selection diagram should be a triangle with sensor size on one axis, camera size on another, and "performance" on the third. If you want fast and small, the V1 still holds its own, while the EOS M is an enticing tradeoff, sacrificing performance for sensor size.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D40 Pentax K10D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +6 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3100 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow