I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,044Gear list
Like?
Re: 17/1.8 is significantly faster than the 45/1.8
In reply to NZ Scott, 2 months ago

NZ Scott wrote:

Anders W wrote:

"Are you claiming that the 17/1.8 is noticeably faster than other modern lenses with similar AF design like the 12/2 and the 45/1.8 included in my test? If so, on what basis do you make that claim?"

Nobody seems to have answered this.

In my experience, the 17/1.8 autofocuses significantly faster than the 45/1.8 under real-world shooting conditions.

I've taken around 5000 photos with the 45/1.8 and 10,000 with the 17/1.8, often switching between the two lenses several times a day.

The difference is especially noticeable in situations that require big changes in focusing distance (ie. from near to far or from far to near) - e.g., when shooting street.

The 45 is occasionally slow enough to miss shots.

See my previous reply to your and Hen3ry's discussion about this earlier on:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53591384

In short: What you see is what would normally be expected in view of the different FLs and the way you are likely to use them since the focus lens group of the 45 usually has to move more than that of the 17 or 12 (which you noted were both faster in your experience). If you keep the amount of travel the focus lens group has to do constant (as I did in my testing with the 12 and 45), you are likely to see the difference disappear.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow