430EX II, only 9 focus points a limiting factor with 19 focus points of 70D?

Started May 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234
430EX II, only 9 focus points a limiting factor with 19 focus points of 70D?
May 2, 2014

I am debating buying the 430EX II this week. The specs state up to 9 focus points. I am wondering if I use this as my only flash if the auto-focus beam will still be very effective or do I need a 580 series flash to cover 19 points and above?

Also, is the beam visibly more startling with one model over the other? I wouldn't want to blind a hummer!

I will be photographing hummingbirds and other small creatures in cloudy weather.

Would PowerEX high copacity batteries give faster cycle times? I like the AAA PowerEX I have tried this month but when I left them setting for a few days they don't seem to hold the juice as well as others had stated regular Eneloops do. A week or two will go by and I don't get out for a nature walk.

If the PowerEX improved considerably over the 2 second cycle of the stated Eneloop results; I could just keep a small percentage of Eneloops as back up but plan to use the PowerEX the most.

Until my summer purchase of a 70D, I be using it with the EOS-M and 55-250 STM and possibly the Yongnuo 622C wireless triggers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow