Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ttbek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to soloryb, 4 months ago

soloryb wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

soloryb wrote:

I am going to eventually try Qimage again if for no other reason other than to find out first hand whether or not it can produce more stunning prints than LR can.

I agree that PS and Elements are poor for printing, and for that reason I use Qimage. The advantages of Qimage over them are clearer than over Lr. Elements doesn't soft proof, but Qimage does.

Lr puts some thought into printing, but for my tastes dumbs down the process a little too much. What can Qimage offer over Lr?

1. Ability to control resolution to what you want it to be. Lr just has fixed presets.

2. Qimage tells you based on your paper and quality settings what resolution your printer wants. Lr leaves you wondering with a fixed list of resolutions to choose from.

3. Multiple prints of varying sizes on one page is handled well by Qimage.

4. You can select your interpolation method with Qimage and the available methods are better. However, the benefits are not going to be seen if you have lots of resolution to start with. The advantages of better resolution are more obvious when you have images from a resolution challenged older camera, digital zoom images, or highly cropped images.

5. Potentially better print sharpening process (Deep Focus Sharpening), but I don't have the images to prove that.

Ron, you're just tempting me. Sure you don't work for Qimage?

Unlike in PS, LR has no control over the image resolution. The image's ppi is whatever it came out of the camera at. The only time you see it change is when you crop/enlarge and view it in the Print module with the Print Resolution box left unchecked. Changing the print size also changes the image ppi in the Print Module, but that's not changing the images actual resolution. If you were referring to the ppi output to the printer (the print resolution), then again there are no presets. You just enter in any value you want.

It's interesting that Qimage can select different interpolation methods. Lightroom has just one, but from what I've read and from my own experience it's a very good one - better than PS's.

They're both just small variants on bicubic though ... are you sure you aren't just biased to LR over PS? 

There are a few print output values that must be adjusted for the best up-resing algorithm, but that has been explored ad nauseam on other DPR threads.

There are many different approaches to sharpening an image and all rely on edge contrast halo adjusting as far as I know. These processes just make images appear to be sharper but can't actually sharpen at all. The only exception to this might be what PS CC did with their new Shake Reduction filter. I've used it several times and incredibly it actually does sharpen blurred images. It's supposed to be for shake blur but I've had success with slight out of focus blur too using this tool. How they accomplish it I have no idea, but I can see the drain on my system's resources while the process goes on so I know it's an intense calculation. And, it's not just edge halo manipulation either.

Too much on my plate right now but soon I'll give Qimage another go.

soloryb

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow