Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?
Re: New FE Lens Announced - Zeiss 16-35mm F4.0
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

Not really a surprise, but there it is.

"Midyear". No prices yet.

Who's in? (raises hand)

Sony better have either the 16-35 f/4 or a 21-25mm prime but which every way they go it better be a stellar performer. A mediocre entry will really get me to re-consider this investment. I can already adapt a wonderful Zeiss 21mm ZE and a Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens so I won't invest in a native lens if its sub par.  The 55mm is great and IMO the 35mm while good could have or should have been a f/2.0.

Its OK to have lenses a stop slower than their DSLR brethren if they offer a size advantage but they need to offer optical quality that justifies a 36 Mp sensor. That means sharp in the center AND to the edges and low distortion without massive amounts of in camera correction. If correction is needed Sony better get off their ... and offer support for LR, Capture One, ACR correction. Having a lens without support isn't really a finished product IMO.

I know most think the 24-70 is sub par but I'm going to give it a go to see if its usable. If the wide offering is sub par as well that will be two strikes against the platform.

I also own Canon and Fuji systems. I would really like to replace the larger Canon with the the A7R but Sony needs to offer glass of better quality for this to occur. I don't know how good the 70-200 is but for me I will buy Telephoto Zoom last since my Canon does this so well.

As far as price I would say somewhere between $1000 - $1200 based on the cost of the 10-24 XF offering and the 24-70 f/4 Zeiss/Sony offering.

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +29 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow