POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,413Gear list
Like?
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, 2 months ago

I find Auto WB on most of my cameras rarely copes with the low energy light bulbs I have in my house and makes everything look horrible and usually manually setting tungsten or custom setting fixes the problem. Then I have forgotten to reset it. Raw is just a good insurance policy that there is no error in the camera set up without risking the auto modes.

Possibly RAW is pointless in your situation but not in mine. Probably I am just careless in setting up cameras but RAW is more forgiving of such carelessness.

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

RAW does protect you from white balance errors from my experience. If you take a picture outdoors in Tungsten WB in a jpeg by accident you are pretty stuffed. For shadow details and highlights jpeg's are much more recoverable than the RAW crowd would have you believe. So if I am taking a really important picture I use RAW as a precaution.

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

,wow,

I am moved to wonder why one would be using "Tungsten WB" and thus wind up inadvertently using it outdoors. But of course, one's mileage may vary

I always use Auto WB and ever only have WB problems when several different light sources clash - but even then, it often makes a nice effect.

In the rare event that I want to change the results in the whole - or part of, an image, PSE's color controls do the job.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow