Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,264Gear list
Like?
7D PDAF Fails Without Covered Viewfinder
3 months ago

Trying to MFA a lens today on the 7D, I discovered something interesting.  While peering through the viewfinder the tripod mounted camera-lens was focused on a wooden railing without any focus hunting. When the same was attempted without the viewfinder being blocked by my eye, the camera hunted and failed to find proper focus, settling on either infinity or a distance well short of the wooden railing. This occurred both in AI-Servo and One-Shot.  As soon as I covered the rear viewfinder with my thumb, the camera focused correctly.   Apparently the extraneous light entering the viewfinder into the camera, interferes with the PDAF and can make it unstable to focus.

Possibly those wearing eyeglasses would limit how effectively light entering the rear viewfinder would be blocked and therefore how reliable the PDAF would function.

Could MFA results be inconsistent if the viewfinder is not blocked while calibrating the lens?

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow