Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ttbek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to soloryb, 6 months ago

soloryb wrote:

Sutherland wrote:

On the subject of the adjustment brush and spot removal tool in LR, Adobe has stated on their website that "The Spot Removal Tool and Local Corrections Brush are not designed for hundreds to thousands of corrections. If your image contains many (hundreds) of localized adjustments, consider using a pixel-based editing application such as Photoshop for that level of correction."

In my case, it's not hundreds to thousands of corrections before I go to PS for these local corrections.

Been there, done that. I once tried to remove about 250 spots and scratches (from an old scanned negative) in LR and the program just slowed down until it froze. PS has no problem handling such a demand.

soloryb

LR will of course do that in this case, since it's running through the whole set of change again each time you're adding a new one and keeping track of them all, whereas PS is do one and done, do next one done, etc...

LR: original file, list of 250 changes to apply
add one and it does 251 changes to display the new image (thankfully it cheats and approximates to do this faster, but still).

PS: file with 250 applied changes and history keeping a limited number of old states (usually not saved) add one and it needs to do one new change

Both applications are pixel based, see what I said to Mira for a little further explanation.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow