New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: Too expensive?
In reply to technic, 6 months ago

technic wrote:

Dandrewk wrote:

And I get the "fits in my pocket" concept. I would say that feature is probably a bit more important to the "less than serious" photographer class... the same ones that are bound to be a bit more cost conscious about an unimportant hobby. How will the m3 compare to a $200 compact camera with a 50+ zoom lens to such a buyer?

Wrong. I buy such a camera as a second camera, a small alternative to a DSLR kit; and I'm guessing that a good percentage of RX100 are 'second' cameras. If I were less than serious about photography I would use a dumbphone. And again, I couldn't care less if someone is proud of the 50x zoom on his $200 point-and-shoot camera and laughs at my camera ...

... which is entirely besides the point.

It's a simple concept.  Small, compact cameras have always appealed to the broad masses.  They are generally aimed at the typical buyer, and a walk down the camera aisle at Best Buy reveals an enormous selection.  Now imagine your typical camera buyer walking that aisle, coming to the end and seeing the $800 RX100m3.  Do you think he sees or cares about the improved lens/EVF?

NO!  ALL HE SEES is $800 and walks away scratching his head, wondering why on earth any reasonable buyer would pay that much money for a small, compact camera with a fixed lens.

I am not talking about a pro or serious amateur.  I'm talking about the overwhelming vast majority of camera buyers, the ones that Sony will have priced themselves out of.  The ~$600 top end of this segment is already too high for many for this sort of camera.  Adding another $200 knocks it out of the park, especially when compared to similar priced cameras with inter changeable lenses.

This obviously does not include you, or me.  I will pay the extra $$ because the quality is worth it.  Sony WILL sell RX100m3's.  But by further increasing the msrp, they are shoving this camera into a much smaller niche class.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow