Why do software interfaces keep getting worse and worse?....

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,767
Like?
Why do software interfaces keep getting worse and worse?....
5 months ago

After I foolishly decided to upgrade my firefox and was cursed with this stupid chrome wanna be "dumbed down" interface, I feel I need to complain about something that seems to have plagued SW interface design since the early 2000's.

It seems to be the goal of most sw designers to make their interface "so a 2 y.o. could learn it." As such, it seems that many SW interfaces seem to be constantly dumbed down with each upgrade. Buttons are bigger, screen space is wasted, advanced controls and customization are either buried or often eliminated, word menus are hidden, options are removed etc etc....

This idea that SW should be designed for society's lowest common denominator and it doesn't matter that skilled sw users must pay the price in the loss of day to day efficiency. Many stupid people cannot seem to master basic file management, so let hide their data away in libraries that make it harder for a decent user to find. Common user interface features that have served us for 20 years (such as basic word menus) must be eliminated in favor of giant picture buttons.

It seems to me that "easy to learn" and "easy/efficient to use" are often two very different things and invariably the trend is toward coddling the stupid, which results in more click through to access or elimination of advanced features.

As I have seen this philosophy to extend well beyond browsers or media players and into professional SW like photoShop and Maya, I must ask myself, should people with an IQ of 70 really be trying to become 3d animators or CAD engineers?

</RANT>

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow