Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,986Gear list
Like?
(Late!) Community Challenge: Just One Photo in April
7 months ago

Whoops! Time slipped by me the last few days.

Just like the great collections from March, February, and January, take a look through your catalogue from the month of April and figure out which photograph you consider your best, or most meaningful. As always, this is not a contest, just a great way for our community to share our photos with the multitude of Sony cameras we shoot with.

In Kentucky, horses are as much a part of our heritage and culture as our economy. Racetracks such as Keeneland provide a social outlet for many to gather for drinks and camaraderie, in addition for patrons to bet on horse races every thirty minutes. Surprisingly, I have never been to a single racetrack such as this, despite living only a few miles away. On a particularly sunny day in mid-April, I visited Keeneland with two other photographers, one who rented a 70-300 and another a 300mm f/2.8. Needless to say, we attracted a lot of attention lined up against the railing with our telephotos reaching out from three monopods!

Our shots at and near the finish line usually turned out okay, but they lacked depth since all the shots were, by nature, straight on. Due to massive heat distortion past 100 feet, we could not obtain sharp images as the group came down the stretch. On our way out, we decided to go through some bushes and position ourselves at the last turn to give some images a bit more sense of momentum and speed. The results were spot-on for what we were all looking for. This shot with the Nikon 200mm f/2 AI-s ED at f/2.8.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow