Microphone(s) for better audio when shooting video?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andy Blanchard
Contributing MemberPosts: 940
Like?
Microphone(s) for better audio when shooting video?
2 months ago

Does anyone have any suggestions for mid- to high-end "enthusiast level" microphones that I can use with DSLRs, the 1DX in particular?  Any brands/models that are highly regarded, or should be avoided? Figure a budget of a couple of hundred $/€/£, but could stretch to a bit more for the right product.

Almost all usage will be outside, so optional wind noise suppression (a muff) is a must.  Subjects will also range quite widely in distance; from a couple of meters to a few dozen meters in the case of wildlife and sport, to much more in the case of aviation but the volume should be high enough to cope there.   I'm looking to capture a mix of ambient and specific subject audio (not necessarily at the same time), so I could potentially be looking at two separate mics, but based on my research so far, I think a suitable shotgun with removable muff might just about do it.

Links to further reading/comparative reviews would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow