POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,876
Like?
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
In reply to Spider1943, 2 months ago

Spider1943 wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

RAW does protect you from white balance errors from my experience. If you take a picture outdoors in Tungsten WB in a jpeg by accident you are pretty stuffed. For shadow details and highlights jpeg's are much more recoverable than the RAW crowd would have you believe. So if I am taking a really important picture I use RAW as a precaution.

I can open any jpeg as a RAW image in PSE or PS and adjust it like an original RAW.

Precisely.

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

So far, only 3 people never use raw. I'm surprised there aren't more than that!

I never use 'raw' - it's pointless.

Although if you "expose for the highlights and develop ("PP") for the shadows", simple PSE controls are ALL you need.

I've read reams of arguement on this subject on this forum for years and have yet to see convincing evidence that raw is more than a "cool" sounding word, with even close to a propery exposed image not exposed for the midtones as iA mode would expose it - and rarely even then is there a significant advantage to justify waiting for the camera to load the image into the card.

But, please, do it the way it makes you feel comfortable.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow