Like?
Re: Plastic (was) rapidly being confined to cameras under $800
In reply to captura, 5 months ago

captura wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

captura wrote:

Dimac wrote:

RichRMA wrote:

If you remember the very first NEX cameras, the 3 and 5, one was metal, the other plastic. The plastic one was more bulky because plastic is weaker than metal and requires thicker castings and things like threaded metal inserts to hold screws.

Actually plastic bodies are more sturdy! No problem at all with it.

Actually do you have any evidence to support your statement?

Do you have any evidence to support metal bodies are more sturdy? Because that's pretty much what started this whole thing.

No, I did not start this threadm nor did I say that metal bodies were more sturdy. And I have maintained all along that I just don't like composite caneras. A personal choice. I prefer the feel of a metal camera, such as my Fuji X10, or even my NEX-5R.

I didn't say you 'started the thread' but you have certainly carried the torch for metal vs. plastics starting at the third comment in this thread. And along with a couple of others, have since stridently and repeatedly maintained that plastic cameras are trash, garbage, junk, cheap, inferior, etc.

Would that you (and the other self-appointed materials police) kept your comments limited to 'I prefer', but you do not. You speak in objective and absolute terms, chiding others for preferring lesser quality products and apologizing for Sony's missteps in this regard. That is what fans the flames of this pointlessness.

Since you have no evidence, I would suggest that under the right conditions, where the designers have followed the best practices, the composite cameras could be far stronger, depending. But if a camera is milled from a single solid aluminum billet such as the new Leica T, then no way.

Stipulating for a moment that solid aluminum would be 'stronger' (if not ding and dent resistant), the object of a camera body is not simply to be the strongest material, but to be reasonably light and at least somewhat shockproof. Aluminum may be better than magnesium alloy, but for the umpteenth comparison: Does an aluminum case for your metal and glass smartphone provide inherently better protection against damage from being dropped than thermoplastic? I think not.

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow