* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #313 14 04 30 *

Started 8 months ago | Photos thread
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,532
Like?
Re: Gelato on a rainy day
In reply to MikePDX, 7 months ago

MikePDX wrote:

I'm visiting Lucca Italy this week and next and learning my how new E-M1 and 12-40 lens handles on a rainy day. Wouldn't you know, I leave the Pacific NorthWET United States for a vacation, only to arrive to rainy conditions in Italy. The gelato tasted just as good, anyway.

(Processed on a laptop with a questionable screen.)

Gelato on a rainy day

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

The picture will be a pleasure in your family for decades. The girls' clothing colors are a great match for the scene. "Gelato in the Rain" is a lovely storyline, full of lively optimism.

With the laptop view I'm using, I can't really comment on the brightness factor; it looks fine to me, which is not to say improvement is impossible. I would suggest some mechanical adjustments, though. My mod is below. I'll delete it from my dpr gallery in a few days, which is supposed to also remove it from the thread. At least, that's how it used to work.

My changes: Straighten the vertical, based on the dark line near the far edge of of the near yellow-peach colored building. Crop off the white building at left and some of the sky and the open windows of yellow building because imo they don't contribute enough to the theme (girls+gelato+rainy day in Italian street). Crop the bottom a little, leaving the best, strongest part of the girls' reflection. Crop the right side enough to mitigate visibility of leftward lean.  Slight sharpen (trying to counteract the losses which seem to occur in pix coming from dpr gallery to post).

I think a tighter crop like this brings the umbrellas more into the scene, in support of the rainy-day aspect of the theme, and also makes the picture more about the charming girls.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow