New FE Lens Announced - Zeiss 16-35mm F4.0

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,334Gear list
Like?
Re: New FE Lens Announced - Zeiss 16-35mm F4.0
In reply to Pat Whittingham, 4 months ago

Not that my opinion means anything to anyone else but I'm disappointed with the lack of a meaningful roadmap announcement.

First there is as yet no official announcement on 16-35mm f4 so no details.

Second it is what I would expect for the A7/A7r next step to complete the golden three zooms at f4. This is a must for many but I've done this so many times with full frame dslrs over the years that I want Zeiss primes, in keeping with the compact format of the A7 family. But I do have the 24-70 f4 as a general purpose lens for A7r ... it is OK for this.

Third, while I like the prime approach to keep high quality and relatively small size (FE 35mmf2.8 and 55f1.8 are vg to excellent on A7r), I see this camera as best suited for me for landscape use. I do a lot of panoramas and I prefer a highly linear 24mm lens  with minimum vignetting for this (in portrait orientation).

Lastly I have a Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8 which I have used on NEX-7 and most recently A6000. This is a good choice for APS-C. This is the target in my view for a new Zeiss UWA prime in the 18 to 24mm range. I'd love to see something around 20mm or 21mm.  I think we'll see these from Zeiss as manual lenses but with EXIF data for A7 series but I think they will probably be too pricey for me.

I expect there are a few of you out there who love primes as well.

I'd hope that Sony helps us all to plan our future course with a more detailed roadmap of FE lenses.

Unfortunately if this is the extent of wide/ultra-wide lenses this year, I will need to buy the SAL24F20Z for use with LA-EA4 for an extended cruise in Jan. I expect this will meet my quality objectives and will be smaller and lighter than the FE 16-35mm f4. And if my experieince with other 17-35mm or 16-35mm zooms is any indication, I need to be in the center of the zoom range to get the results I want anyway. This coincidentally is about 24/25mm.

The Sony Zeiss 24/2 SSM Distagon is a very nice lens but it will likely be a larger setup on a7.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow