New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,982
Like?
Re: Too expensive?
In reply to Dandrewk, 6 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

But no matter what, it's still a small, compact camera. There is only so far you can push the price/point of that genre. Already, it's priced out of the range of the casual user. When you can buy decent dSLR's and mirror less cameras with changeable lenses for the same price, even the more serious (and affluent) photographers will question it.

I agree.  So Sony is straddling that supplly & demand line, trying to price to balance profit & sales volume.  Sony has always done well when they can produce something unique and price it high due to the lack of direct competition.  Plenty of people will choose a cheaper alternative, but if something in that unique product calls to you, there's nothing else quite like it.

I can see a couple potential problems with the pricing, though.  First, there are already a lot of RX100s & MIIs in the hands of the target market for this camera.  Second, if the EVF pushes it past the point of being pocketable, there's more competition, both in small mirrorless and in competing prosumers (which, granted, lack the 1" sensor).  And then you have the competing prosumers that were in the $500 range now selling in the $250-300 range.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. I wish Sony luck, because good sales continues to motivate pushing the envelope further out. And that improves all of their cameras.

So long as a company can product a product affordably enough to sell it profitably at low sales volumes (Leica, for instance) all kinds of products are viable, from $80 point & shoots to the $1300 RX10.  I think Sony has struck a gold mine here, building multiple products with at least some core components.  But it sure would be nice if it were (a whole lot) cheaper   Or if they did an upgrade program !

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow