Panasonic needs to update the 100-300mm lens

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,763Gear list
Like?
Re: What diameter/filter size would it be?
In reply to Anders W, 7 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Lab D wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Lab D wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

I have that lens and agree. But I'd rather see a new lens of the quality shown in the 12-35 and 35-100 lenses -- maybe a 100-300 f/4 OIS weather-sealed and with great optics. It would cost substantially more, but I'd sure like to have such a lens.

-- hide signature --

Phil

For micro four thirds what would be the smallest diameter possible for a 300mm or a 250mm F/4 zoom? I would "settle" for a 70-250 F/4.

Perhaps this will give you an idea:

http://www.43rumors.com/the-big-olympus-pro-lens-size-comparison/

I too would certainly like a 100-300/4 if it could be made about as small and light as the current 100-300. But since that's not the case, I'd prefer a 100-300/4-5.6 or 75-300/4-5.6 made to higher quality standards than any of the long tele zooms we currently have. Something like the Canon 70-300/4-5.6L although preferably smaller and lighter. The Canon still weighs more than one kg, which gives you another idea of what a 100-300/4 might be like.

I've always had the impression that Olympus didn't shoot for a small size with their Pro lenses. The E-1/3/5 were always a lot larger than they had to be too.

While you are right that the HG/SHG FT lenses are big and heavy, the main explanation for that fact is that they are fast. For at least some of them (those with a WA component), the huge flange distance ratio (flange distance divided by sensor diagonal) plays a part as well. While Oly might (and should) have made a greater effort to keep the dimensions in check, that's just part of the story. And I think they have pretty much learned the lesson in that regard when they are now developing their PRO line for MFT.

My only reservation based on what I have seen so far is that they are still overly ambitious (for my personal taste) with regard to the FL and f-stop specs in some regards. The 7-14/2.8 could surely have been made quite a bit smaller by making it f/4 rather than f/2.8 (and how strong is really the need for fast apertures at 11 mm UWA or wider?). With regard to the 40-150/2.8, I can certainly see the need for the reach as well as speed. But wouldn't it have made more sense to make it, say 40-120/2.8 or 40-150/2.8-4 and cut down its size to something approaching the Pany 35-100/2.8? As things now look, this is not a lens I can see myself carrying on a regular basis, which probably means I won't buy it. I am not really interested in the 35-100/2.8 either since that doesn't buy me a whole lot over what I can get with the 75/1.8 I already have. The 150/2.8 prime that Pany said they had in the pipeline for a while would have made more sense to me, at least if they had managed to keep the dimensions in check (and the mock-ups looked reasonable in that regard IIRC).

Also, the Canon lenses mentioned are for Full Frame cameras. Shouldn't lenses for a 4/3rds sensor be smaller? Since a full frame lens bring in 2 stops more total light and the difference between F/4 and F/5.6 is only 1 stop, shouldn't an M43 F/4 lens be able to have a smaller diameter than an F/5.6 Full Frame lens? I am curious to know.

Regrettably, the answer to your question is basically no. While a 300/4 for MFT does bring in two stops less worth of total light than a 300/4 for FF, this is so because it reduces the FoV to half. The front elements, which together with the FL are what largely determine the dimensions and weight, have to be just as large for both lenses alike. The elements toward the rear of the lens can be made smaller for an MFT 300/4 than for an FF 300/4, but that hardly affects the size of the lens at all and doesn't affect the weight either that much (although it certainly helps at least a little bit).

OK, that is what I was missing.  The reduced FoV.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow