Panasonic needs to update the 100-300mm lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 3,893Gear list
Like?
Re: What diameter/filter size would it be?
In reply to Anders W, 4 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Lab D wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

I have that lens and agree. But I'd rather see a new lens of the quality shown in the 12-35 and 35-100 lenses -- maybe a 100-300 f/4 OIS weather-sealed and with great optics. It would cost substantially more, but I'd sure like to have such a lens.

-- hide signature --

Phil

For micro four thirds what would be the smallest diameter possible for a 300mm or a 250mm F/4 zoom? I would "settle" for a 70-250 F/4.

Perhaps this will give you an idea:

http://www.43rumors.com/the-big-olympus-pro-lens-size-comparison/

I too would certainly like a 100-300/4 if it could be made about as small and light as the current 100-300. But since that's not the case, I'd prefer a 100-300/4-5.6 or 75-300/4-5.6 made to higher quality standards than any of the long tele zooms we currently have. Something like the Canon 70-300/4-5.6L although preferably smaller and lighter. The Canon still weighs more than one kg, which gives you another idea of what a 100-300/4 might be like.

I've always had the impression that Olympus didn't shoot for a small size with their Pro lenses.  The E-1/3/5 were always a lot larger than they had to be too.

Also, the Canon lenses mentioned are for Full Frame cameras.  Shouldn't lenses for a 4/3rds sensor be smaller?  Since a full frame lens bring in 2 stops more total light and the difference between F/4 and F/5.6 is only 1 stop, shouldn't an M43 F/4 lens be able to have a smaller diameter than an F/5.6 Full Frame lens?  I am curious to know.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow