Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,427Gear list
Like?
Re: Big and little critters, and other stuff with the 100-300 mm
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 2 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

Hi Tom! Nice shots.

I just wonder why you didn't use 1/500 at f5.6 for the more extreme shots. I think you are losing more in slight shake than in lens crispness. Why are the sandhill crane shots slightly pink?

I'm still trying to justify the purchase of a 300mm, but am getting nice shots with the 200mm + heavy cropping...

Mike

Thanks Mike. I think that you're referring to the shots at 1/320th. I was experimenting with trying to get a group of birds in focus. I think that you are right, though, and am losing lots in camera shake.

I don't know why those shots are pink. I think that I am having some WB issues. And I wasn't using my spectacles when processing. Working too late at night, maybe.

FWIW, I really like the 100-300 lens. Very versatile for narrow AOV imaging, especially when using those tubes.

I am hoping to see those birds again today, but it will be quite dim with some rain forecast.

Thanks, Tom, for those answers. I look forward to some more bird shots with it!

Happy birding!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow