New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,751Gear list
Like?
Re: Too expensive?
In reply to Dandrewk, 3 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

Dennis wrote:

Dandrewk wrote:

SAR estimates a price of $800-$850 USA.

In any case, that's REAL high for a compact camera, even at the highest end.

If you look at it as nothing more than an RX100M2 with a built in EVF, it's $800-850 versus $700 and I'd pay $150 for a built in EVF. You can argue that the M2 is expensive and the M1 before it, but apparently, there's a good market for them.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --

I totally agree there's value there, and I applaud Sony for pushing the envelope on small, compact cameras.

But no matter what, it's still a small, compact camera. There is only so far you can push the price/point of that genre. Already, it's priced out of the range of the casual user. When you can buy decent dSLR's and mirror less cameras with changeable lenses for the same price, even the more serious (and affluent) photographers will question it.

I don't think any of the RX cameras is for the 'casual' users (although many may buy them anyway because they have money burning on their credit card). Some people are willing to pay good money for a high quality camera that is as small as possible. Look at m43, same story. An entry model DSLR is no serious competition, they may have slightly better IQ (if you are lucky with the kit zoom) and some other advantages, but they attract a very different audience.

People have always been willing to pay extra for high quality, extra compact consumer electronics. Sony has several decades experience with this ...

It's similar to real estate. If you have a $1 million mansion in a poor neighborhood, you won't be selling it for $1 million.

If you won't be selling it for $ 1 million, you are deluding yourself that it is a $ 1 million mansion.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. I wish Sony luck, because good sales continues to motivate pushing the envelope further out. And that improves all of their cameras.

The RX100 was probably a bit of a gamble and it paid off. A more expensive model with even better features is less of a gamble, it is clear that people are willing to spend money on this type of camera.

There is no real competition for RX100 in a lower price range, the G1X II and P8000 have similar price. To some extent the cheaper Samsung NX1 mini and Panasonic GM1 are competitors but those are already quite different cameras. For some others the best 1/1.7" sensor compacts are an alternative, but the sensor size gap is big. I guess that the 1/1.7" quality compacts (with good ergonomics, bright lenses etc.) are going to disappear and only very compact ones like S100 series will remain.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow