New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Dale Cotton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,903
Like?
Re: Too expensive?
In reply to Samaistuin, 3 months ago

Samaistuin wrote:

I think it's always been clear: from the start, with the original RX100, Sony was targeting people like us; "enlightened amateurs" if I may (hopefully that doesn't come across as being too pompous). Big sensor, big price, one colour (and black at that, more like a Thinkpad than an Apple): who else than us would buy that?

Samaistuin: that works for me re the first two RX100 models. But just listen to the early feedback on this forum and the rumours site. The most frequent comment is not "Wow! Built-in EVF!" but "Whoa! I need that 100mm focal or longer, so I pass". Granted, enthusiasts have been jawing from the beginning about the slow f/4.9 tele; and this change gives them the magic f/2.8 number to silence that. But replacing max-100 with max-70 simply cancels out that improvement.

There is quite a consensus on this forum and in the "press" around Sony's target customers with the RX line, ever since the RX1 was out (though it seems to have been some hesitations regarding the RX10 - and I include myself amongst the doubters). This upcoming RX100M3, then, is no different.

As pointed in posts above, the traditional P&S customers don't care about the sensor size of their camera - they don't even know there are different sizes out there. They like versatility and numbers that speak, like the long zooms'.

Agreed. So if we eliminate the majority of enthusiasts and casuals, who's left? The answer I get is pros. Pros are forever on the look-out for a pocket camera that doesn't have IQ that can't take comparison to their high-spec dSLRs. Pros snapped up the original RX100 and became walking salespeople for it. Pros don't take workshops, they give workshops. I think Sony listened to the feedback coming from pros, pretty much ignored everyone else ... and priced the M3 accordingly. For Sony, the M3 is like the RX1, not so much a big-sales product, but a pure bragging-rights product. Presumably, also an attempt to add to the perception that the Sony logo can grace just as serious a tool as any Canon or Nikon.

Not saying the auto and scene modes won't be on the mode dial -- even the RX1 has those. Sony will take all the sales they can get, including, as ever, Mr/Ms Deep Pockets.

This is just where my initial read stands at the moment. Welcome any other takes on the M3's positioning.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow