Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,683
Like?
Nocticron users - problems
6 months ago

Well not a serious one - I really like this lens.

The lens hood is secured by a band which seems to have a glue-like flexible substance backing it.  It is probably just an elastic substance that prevents it chattering and keeps it properly in place.

But since the lens was delivered the elastic substance has oozed form behind the fixing ring and gets deposited on the exterior of the lens barrel.  At first it looks like scratches but it will clean off - it seems that ordinary window cleaning fluid is the least abrasive and will work, if slowly.  I have tried to remove the excess oozing from inside the lens hood mounting band, but it is devilishly hard to do so because of the elastic glue like composition.  In time it will probably settle down but in the meantime I am getting regular requirements to clean the lens barrel which is not a case of a quick wipe over.

Maybe I should just wear the "glue marks" on the lens barrel as a label of pride?

Is this problem common and do we have any way of dealing with it other than repeated cleaning exercises until the excess "glue" sorts itself out? What is the best and safest solvent to use? The hardest I have tried is the highly volatile ti-tree oil which usually shifts anything sticky but not in this case.

If this is my only problem with the lens it is not much of a problem.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow