Settings to Improve Indoor Karate Pics on A6000

Started Apr 30, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
andycincy Forum Member • Posts: 79
Settings to Improve Indoor Karate Pics on A6000

Went to a karate tournament for my son in Chicago last weekend, and took a bunch of shots with my new a6000 and 18-105 G. Overall am very happy with how many good shots I got, considering I am not very experienced and had almost no time to play with settings prior to the tournament. Indoor karate is usually in a gym with average or poor lighting, and at this tournament I was seated about 30-40 ft away from the competition mat.

With that being said, here are flickr links to 2 groups of pictures shot that day:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124023740@N03/sets/72157644413024864/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124023740@N03/sets/72157644414223434/

Here are the settings for the group 2 pictures, which were taken later in the afternoon:

• shutter priority
  • drive mode Hi
  • auto focus - AF-C
  • focus area - zone
  • exposure compensation - +3.3
  • shutter speed - 1/125
  • create style - clear
  • DRO - level 1
  • white balance - incandescent tungsten
  • metering mode - center
  • ISO - 2000
  • High ISO Noise Reduction - Normal

The only difference in the group 1 pictures was a slower shutter speed at 1/100 and slightly less exposure comp at +3.0.

Obviously there is some motion blur, especially in the group 2 shots where they were sparring and moving faster. I was trying to keep the ISO below 3200 to keep the noise down, but that got me some blur.

If anyone has some suggestions on tweaking the settings, I would appreciate it. I'll be taking many more karate pictures over the next few years (hopefully), so I would like to get the best ones possible. Thanks!

ANSWER:
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow