Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andycincy
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
Settings to Improve Indoor Karate Pics on A6000
4 months ago

Went to a karate tournament for my son in Chicago last weekend, and took a bunch of shots with my new a6000 and 18-105 G. Overall am very happy with how many good shots I got, considering I am not very experienced and had almost no time to play with settings prior to the tournament. Indoor karate is usually in a gym with average or poor lighting, and at this tournament I was seated about 30-40 ft away from the competition mat.

With that being said, here are flickr links to 2 groups of pictures shot that day:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124023740@N03/sets/72157644413024864/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124023740@N03/sets/72157644414223434/

Here are the settings for the group 2 pictures, which were taken later in the afternoon:

• shutter priority
  • drive mode Hi
  • auto focus - AF-C
  • focus area - zone
  • exposure compensation - +3.3
  • shutter speed - 1/125
  • create style - clear
  • DRO - level 1
  • white balance - incandescent tungsten
  • metering mode - center
  • ISO - 2000
  • High ISO Noise Reduction - Normal

The only difference in the group 1 pictures was a slower shutter speed at 1/100 and slightly less exposure comp at +3.0.

Obviously there is some motion blur, especially in the group 2 shots where they were sparring and moving faster. I was trying to keep the ISO below 3200 to keep the noise down, but that got me some blur.

If anyone has some suggestions on tweaking the settings, I would appreciate it. I'll be taking many more karate pictures over the next few years (hopefully), so I would like to get the best ones possible. Thanks!

ANSWER:
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow