New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Re: Too expensive?
In reply to Dennis, 4 months ago

Dennis wrote:

Dandrewk wrote:

SAR estimates a price of $800-$850 USA.

In any case, that's REAL high for a compact camera, even at the highest end.

If you look at it as nothing more than an RX100M2 with a built in EVF, it's $800-850 versus $700 and I'd pay $150 for a built in EVF. You can argue that the M2 is expensive and the M1 before it, but apparently, there's a good market for them.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --

I totally agree there's value there, and I applaud Sony for pushing the envelope on small, compact cameras.

But no matter what, it's still a small, compact camera.  There is only so far you can push the price/point of that genre.  Already, it's priced out of the range of the casual user.  When you can buy decent dSLR's and mirror less cameras with changeable lenses for the same price, even the more serious (and affluent) photographers will question it.

It's similar to real estate.  If you have a $1 million mansion in a poor neighborhood, you won't be selling it for $1 million.

Mind you, I'm not complaining.  I wish Sony luck, because good sales continues to motivate pushing the envelope further out.  And that improves all of their cameras.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow