Most economic way to upgrade to full-frame Nikon ?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pix_crash_course
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
Most economic way to upgrade to full-frame Nikon ?
8 months ago

I want to be able to photograph a car with shallow DOF. This means I need a larger sensor so I can get closer to the subject in order to maximize shallow DOF, right? See photo examples below I saw online somewhere.

Current setup is Nikon D50 with AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D lens. I don't want a 2014 $3000 body. Again, my 9 year old D50 is perfectly fine for my needs, except this one situation. So, please suggest something appropriate for my financial sensibilities.

I am not "into" photography anymore, but would like to be equipped to take this sort of photo on occasion. What is the least I need to spend on a used body? I prefer a Nikon since I have a f/1.4 50mm lens.

If I can do this upgrade for a few hundred bucks (?), I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'll get close, take 2 photos (since the subject doesn't move) and use Stitcher to make one photo.

These were taken with 85mm f/1.4 on a Nikon D3.
Can I get something similar by using my 50mm f/1.4 ??

Nikon D3 Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow