Senior MemberPosts: 1,187Gear list
Like?
Re: Big and little critters, and other stuff with the 100-300 mm
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 5 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

My latest effort with the Panny 100-300 mounted on E-M1

Absolutely loving this lens!! Rock solid focus tracking

Beauties! How far was that raptor from the camera? How much cropping?

We had our first butterfly of the season here last week. A Mourning Cloak. It looked quite rough but stopped in a clump of weeds next to the snow long enough for a quick pic with the 100-300.

Amazing to see this before all the snow had disappeared.

I really like that lens too. All I have to do is learn how to use it better! It's on the GH2 now but I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a GH4 (!!!) to give myself some more advantage in capturing BiF! We'll wait until there is more field experience with the new focusing capability before I make the jump, though.

Thanks for sharing your images.

Tom

All cropping was done in camera. The E-M1 has comprehensive image editor for converting RAW to JPG, with color profiles, shadow recovery and cropping all built in. So depending on the resolution of the image, will determine if the image was moderately or heavily cropped, as those are the two letter box predefined settings for the E-M1.

The key to capturing BIF, at 300mm is to use apertures 7.1 and smaller, especially when they are moving.

This is not saying the 100-300 is not sharp at 5.6, but rather the DOF focus and accuracy may not be good when it comes to moving subjects like BIF. When capturing static birds on branches I have had good results at 5.6 as long as I AF then override and fine tune the focus. An example of this was the butterfly shot

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow