Started Apr 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aptmunich
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
E-M5 vs. E-M10: resisting the upgrade bug
Apr 30, 2014

Not sure if many people are thinking jumping from the M5 to the M10, but if you are maybe this will help.

First off: I think this only applies to existing M5 owners, if you're getting your first OM-D, I'd recommend the E-M10 without hesitation!

I felt the new features would outweigh the slightly lower build quality and smaller size, so I ordered the M10 to check it out myself.

Pro M10:

• The WiFi feature works very well and is fairly quick to transfer pics
  • Focus peaking is great, would definitely get me to use my legacy lenses more
  • Some of the other features (in-camera HDR, improved time-lapse options) are pretty nice too

Pro M5:

• The build quality is just that extra bit nicer – I think you'll only really care if you've used the M5 for a while. The metal finish just feels nicer than the slightly lighter finish on the M10.
  • The slightly larger size and weight just feels better in the hand after having used it for so long.
  • The magnet image stabilization is much quieter! This one surprised me as I hadn't read it anywhere else: you can hear the whirring on both cameras of course, but it is much louder on the M10.

So for me personally I sent back the M10 and am keeping the M5. I'm sure most people are sensible enough to not be tempted in the first place, but if you're on the fence - those are my thoughts.

Again: I'm not bashing the M10, it's an amazing camera for the price, just my personal thoughts.

P.S. The EP-14 eye cup of the M10 fits fine on the M5 and seems to stay in place better than the original one that came with the M5, so I've ordered a separate one and stuck it on my M5. Let's see how it goes, but I hope Olympus has improved the clip strength a bit.

aptmunich's gear list:aptmunich's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow