Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aptmunich
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
E-M5 vs. E-M10: resisting the upgrade bug
3 months ago

Not sure if many people are thinking jumping from the M5 to the M10, but if you are maybe this will help.

First off: I think this only applies to existing M5 owners, if you're getting your first OM-D, I'd recommend the E-M10 without hesitation!

I felt the new features would outweigh the slightly lower build quality and smaller size, so I ordered the M10 to check it out myself.

Pro M10:

• The WiFi feature works very well and is fairly quick to transfer pics
  • Focus peaking is great, would definitely get me to use my legacy lenses more
  • Some of the other features (in-camera HDR, improved time-lapse options) are pretty nice too

Pro M5:

• The build quality is just that extra bit nicer – I think you'll only really care if you've used the M5 for a while. The metal finish just feels nicer than the slightly lighter finish on the M10.
  • The slightly larger size and weight just feels better in the hand after having used it for so long.
  • The magnet image stabilization is much quieter! This one surprised me as I hadn't read it anywhere else: you can hear the whirring on both cameras of course, but it is much louder on the M10.

So for me personally I sent back the M10 and am keeping the M5. I'm sure most people are sensible enough to not be tempted in the first place, but if you're on the fence - those are my thoughts.

Again: I'm not bashing the M10, it's an amazing camera for the price, just my personal thoughts.

P.S. The EP-14 eye cup of the M10 fits fine on the M5 and seems to stay in place better than the original one that came with the M5, so I've ordered a separate one and stuck it on my M5. Let's see how it goes, but I hope Olympus has improved the clip strength a bit.

aptmunich's gear list:aptmunich's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow