International Space Station crossing the Sun as seen by Micro Four Thirds.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
iansmith
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?
International Space Station crossing the Sun as seen by Micro Four Thirds.
8 months ago

Who said Micro Four Thirds isn't good for fast action? I caught these guys flying past me at 17,000 miles an hour!

Posted this in the Astrophotography section a few days back when I took it but thought you might enjoy seeing it here too.

Pretty amazing what one can do with just a camera these days.   I took these with the E-P5 and an Oly 75-300 at full zoom where it is at it's weakest.  Needed as the ISS is very small when viewed from 400 miles away.  But still pretty good detail for challenging conditions.

The VF-4 was essential, I would have gone blind trying to do this looking at the LCD, even tilted.

I used MJPEG video for the capture as the transit event only lasts 0.6 seconds.  Even with the best timing you can only get withing a second or too which is too short for burst mode on my E-P5.  Going to try with burst mode next time, but with the timing so tight there is a good chance I'll miss it entirely.  But I'd love to get this in a RAW.  MJPEG did pretty well but I bet the quality would be much higher with standard photo, even with the shutter banging away.

Anyway, was a lot of fun taking this.  Lots of prep time, but it came out about as good as I could expect for just a camera and the conditions.

First is a single frame, second is all the frames combined into one image.

And yes, I used a specialized filter for taking pictures of the sun.  Don't try this without one or you will melt your camera!

iansmith's gear list:iansmith's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow