A Truly compact? mFT back up or even replacement from Sony,

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,665Gear list
Like?
A Truly compact? mFT back up or even replacement from Sony,
3 months ago

Firstly assuming the rumour site is correct { I know }and the Sony RX100mk3 comes to pass ,with the following features.

20MP sensor, {same as mkII }
ISO 125-25600
24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 lens
Built in View finder (SVGA OLED Tru-Finder 1440k dots)
Tiltable screen (180 degrees up)
Record in XAVC S format

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-rx100m3-specs-records-in-xavc-s-format-just-like-the-a7s/

And bearing in mind its low ISO performance compared to my GX7 ,my smallest mFT body with EVF built-in { very important to me}

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7-versus-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-II___901_896

SNR

DR

I typically shoot mFT at low ISO { 400 or lower } with my 12-35mm f2.8 and 20mm F1.7 being my most used lenses { by a long margin} .Looking at the shot statistics { hey, its raining here I had nothing better to do } roughly 85% of my shots are done with these two lenses , with an average aperture of F4 . The other 15% consist of 6% with 60mm macro { I was sure I used it more than that ,oh well} .The remaining 9% is a mix of the rest of my lenses with the 35-100 and 75mm slightly ahead of the rest.

From the perspective of those who want a truly small set up , shoot at low ISO, in a wide to short tele range ,I think the RX100mk3 could make for either a great back up, for when you want something that fits in your pocket. Maybe for some it could be more convenient, smaller and lighter than any system camera an almost ideal carry around camera.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#472.336,467,ha,t

 jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow