I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,500Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!
In reply to Jeanadriane, 4 months ago

Jeanadriane wrote:

sproketholes wrote:

The original 20/1.7 was definitely better for focus speed. I had it on a GF1 and yesterday I tried the mkII on a GH4 and was shocked at how terrible it is.

I'm surprised to read this, sproketholes! I have both the mkI and the mkII, I use them both as my main lenses and there's no way I can tell them apart for AF speed or IQ. I'm convinced the differences some people seem to find are just sample differences.

You are certainly right about that. The design differences between Mk. I and Mk. II are purely cosmetic.

I also have the 17mm Oly. It's faster for sure and I do prefer the 35mm equivalent FL. But I like the IQ from the 20mm so much better that the 17mm is up for sale now. I absolutely agree the 17mm is a fine lens, it feels and looks great, it gives you nice images and it's "plenty" sharp. But more than "plenty" I want the extra shine and sparkle that the 20mm can give. Yup, choices like that are personal, and for the OP the 17mm might be the better choice.

The 17mm is a bit easier to use. After working with it for a certain time, I had to kind of re-adapt to the 20mm. For in low light (and sometimes even in stark sunlight), with lots of fast moving folks as your subject, you have to pay more attention to focusing, you may have to prefocus or zone focus, or make sure you quickly spot contrasty details to focus on, etc. In tricky light conditions and with fast moving people the 20mm often requires a bit more of technique and alertness. To me that's worth it. Fully. But again, it's a personal choice and for the OP maybe the 17mm or either of the 25mm lenses could be the better choice. Unless he decides to stick with the 20mm for a while and try to get more familiar with it, develop routines that help him get better focus.

Good luck and enjoy your photography!

Jeanette

-- hide signature --
 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow