pixelpushing wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

ryan92084 wrote:

marc petzold wrote:

andye53 wrote:

Oh boy I said the same thing in another thread and my head almost got chewed off LOL.

It definitely has a lower build quality compared to all other NEX, except the 3N. It 's roughly the same build as the 3N, same plain plastic finish.

-- hide signature --

SONY TX2O | RX1OO| NEX-FiveT | @6OOO
CAN0N S1OO

But the A6000 is made out of mag-alloy, not plastic.

It is not, Sony removed that part of the marketing. There may have been some preproduction models that were but it isn't now. The shell is poly/plastic/composite and supported at least in part by a metal infrastructure/frame.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53554186

Just curious where the actual facts are on this, rather than Sony pulling the reference in their video.

The facts? On which part?

Its not difficult to see the unpainted underside of the front/back plates, port/battery cover, and grip. The top plate could be I guess but based on unscientific acousitics/ thermal properties/feel compared to the obviously metal parts (flash/LCD hinge, dials, mount surround, screws, metal substructure) that is pretty unlikely.

As for the metal substructure you can open the battery compartment and see the grip is fully supported and a plate continues across the back.

All that said I have no problem with the build quality at all.

My point being, nobody really knows exactly what the build composition of the A6000 is.

Until someone tears one apart or Sony publishes a cutaway or something, what do we really know, and what difference does it make? A paper thin aluminum skin in front of the very same metal and other parts inside doesn't make much difference to me, at least. I know having a metal top plate on my NX300 doesn't give it a better quality feel than my new A6000.

THAT SAID, if you find a worn Leica M9 or an older all-metal film camera from the 60's, they tend to 'brass' around the edges and that's kind of cool - but we're talking very old, or very expensive. Pretty much everything else these days is a super thin skin over a tight tangle of innards.

and my point was to stop the spread of misinformation. I'm not bashing the build quality as I'd rate it quite high. It was just a dumb move by Sony marketing to say the shell was mag alloy and then have it not be a month later

Agreed!

I think Sony said the frame was mag allowy. Wrong?

AFAIK only time Sony made a claim either way was in the promo video from the linked post from earlier in the quote tree. In it the "host" says, "The actual camera looks different (comparing to the nex-6) as far as the make. This isn't plastic its...?"(referencing the body/shell she is tapping on). The Sony representative replies, "It's magnesium alloy"

It's all moot now the two sections referencing the mag alloy were later removed.

The top plate and bottom plate are definitely metal and the front plate may be. The frame is represented to be mag alloy.

You still insist on carrying on this disinformation...for what purpose? You keep supporting a premise that this is a mostly metallic body when anyone with any savvy would either look at the reviews and/or vist a store to examine the A6000. It is OBVIOUSLY and BLATANTLY plastic!

I would hold off on that judgment, Steve. I had thought the same initially... but closer inspection has muddled the issue.

And yes, I have it now.

Of course, it has some metal components like the NEX-6. But not the metal body panels of the NEX-7 and 5N. I should have said so.

It's got metal top and bottom plates. The NEX 6 does not.  The front plate makes a noise like metal, but I suspect it is plastic.  The NEX 6 is pretty much all plastic, except for the frame.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow