Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,258
Like?
Re: Windows and stairs...
In reply to Zindanfel, 4 months ago

Zindanfel wrote:

the colored windowsstephent wrote:

Hi everyone another from last weeks trip to Sydney, this one inside the Art Gallery of New South Wales.

Regards.

Stephen.

The low-maintenance, high-cost, "bomb-proof" stone construction seems more apt for a financial institution's facade of solidity/integrity than an art gallery's celebration of creative genius.

An ordered array of colored windows, plus light on the far walls, somewhat leaven a cold ambiance.

Arcs of a lone circular ceiling-light fixture and a foreground handrail curve stand out in the overwhelming abundance of straight lines, intersections, and hard edges

I will concur with these thoughts but add that I found the artist's (or curator's) intervention here quite successful.

The bright and vividly coloured windows add panache and life to an otherwise quite sterile, cold and even unattractive environment. I don't associate this kind of stone and concrete with solidity (as in a solid bank, haha), but rather with a wartime bunker.

So the installatiion throws me off balance, like kindergarten drawings in the despair under the Reichskanzlei around the time of Der Untergang.

But that is about the art.

What does the photography do? Well, it shows us these elements and their juxtaposition quite effectively.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow