Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,453Gear list
Like?
A6000 Birds not Flying, 55-210+DH1758
4 months ago

This time, I figured I'd post some other birds from last Saturday's first outing with the A6000 - last time it was the BIFs, using the AF-C mode...this time, it's the non-flying birds around the wetlands, using AF-S mode and flex spot focus. While it was a little harsh light - noonish and dead-afternoon, high sun, straight down...that was when I had my opportunity to get out and shoot! The bird selection here has been pretty good lately, and the Florida birds this time of year and into summer let you get awfully close - you'll see some of the shots here are of birds less than 10 feet away! Hope you enjoy:

This is a limpkin - sitting on the handrail of the boardwalk I'm on. After snapping his pic from about 15 feet away, he let me walk right by him - less than 3 feet between me and him. To hot to bother moving...and besides, his wife and babies were nearby and he was on guard.

This is his baby, in the wetlands below - he was kind enough to let me photograph his babies without raising a fuss.

A female red-winged blackbird hanging onto a reed

A male least bittern, putting on his vibrant mating colors - that red around the beak and eye is not normally there except mating season.

The female least bittern was nearby, hunting for some fish, and so far ignoring Mr. bittern's mating color display

A sleeping double-crested cormorant...I was standing less than 1 foot from him, and he barely bothered to open his eye. I had to back up to around 7-8 feet to take the shot, the lens' minimum focus distance!

A baby great blue heron, hanging out in its nest (brother is sleeping off to the right)...waiting for mom to return with some food.

A baby red-winged blackbird snuck away from its nest to hand out on a big leaf, to get a view of the world...and to better see mom returning with the food!

Sneaky and usually elusive sora, out in the open while looking for a meal

A wee little migrating bird, still 'hanging' around - this is a pretty little northern parula, hanging upside down off a branch to get a better inspection of the leaf...where surely a tiny bug was roaming around on the underside...soon to become a meal!

As always, comments, questions, critique welcomed.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow