* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #313 14 04 30 *

Started 8 months ago | Photos thread
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,538
Like?
Re: Sinister Smile?
In reply to 19andrew47, 8 months ago

19andrew47 wrote:

Taken at the local fall fair in 2012, processed a couple of days ago. The intricate detail in the structural work is not all that visible until 100% view. Heavily processed to achieve the effect below.

Andrew

12 - 50 mm

In this stark, edgy (lots of edges) treatment devoid of discernible human presence my first impression is that the structure is a toy scale model. Bubble-gum pink sorta reinforces that.

In a "toy" context the center figure's broad grin doesn't seem at all sinister, but rather more like some movie-candy box logo -- Good & Plenty shapes come to mind.

The design seems constrained by its circular frame. The use of plus-signs for eyes is interesting; an eighth-turn and they would be letter Xs, which in cartoon illustration usually means the character is dead, like a fish out of water.

I do see that a viewer might find the center character sinister in the sense that it has no obvious relationship to the setting, i.e., I don't think it's a traditional carnival-ride emblem of "fun." This displacement from expectations could make it seem out-of-place, lacking a clear reason for its presence. For an orderly mind, suspicion may ensue.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow