Big and little critters, and other stuff with the 100-300 mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,361Gear list
Like?
Re: More 100-300, including a few using ext. tubes ...
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 3 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Some more critters with the 100-300 ... (below are a few with 10 +16 mm extension tubes).

I think that's a phoebe, maybe a flycatcher of some sort.

The woodpecker looks like a yellow-bellied sapsucker. Pleated woodpeckers are much bigger (crow-sized) have longer beaks and a big red crest. The facial banding is very different, too.

A lot of the above have been heavily cropped so I don't have enough file size for big prints. But most seem ok from a sharpness POV. Since I don't a photographer's judgement I'd appreciate feedback on this len's performance. My performance, too!

Some excellent shots! Ms. Fox from the first set is fantastic. Usually they run away if you get within eyeshot, so you must have been downwind or something.

The trick with the 100-300mm on the long end is to keep the aperture at f7.1 and try to get the shutter speed up to 1/640 or faster. For flying birds, I've used a red dot sight, which is quicker and easier to use than either the EVF or LCD.

http://gadget.brando.com/wildlife-photography-with-tactical-four-reticle-sight_p01341c73d3.html

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow