I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,370Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!
In reply to jim stirling, 4 months ago

jim stirling wrote:

Wesley Byrne wrote:

UPS just delivered my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II. I had read the reviews and knew the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 autofocus wasn't fast, but I wasn't expecting it to be so unbearably slow. Some here have said that the 20mm f1.7 isn't that slow, and that it autofocuses about as fast as other m43 lenses when large focus adjustments are not needed, but they are wrong. This lens is useless for even slow moving subjects. I am definitely returning this lens.

I know the 20mm f1.7 has many fans, presumably folks who photograph static scenes. In my opinion, compared to the 17mm f1.8 and the 25mm f1.8, the 20mm f1.7 is a dog. Panasonic should be embarrassed for releasing this lens with barely-functional AF.

</end rant>

I have both models of this lens and have used them on the GF1, GX1,GH2,GH3 , E-M1 and GX7. Is it somewhat slower than other mFT lenses , yes in some scenarios.However for the vast amount of situations its AF speed is more than fast enough. One need only look at the thousands of images taken with the lens to see that this is the case for most people.

To me it epitomizes mFT , tiny, with very good to excellent image quality, Due to living on my carry everywhere camera the 20mm is one of my most used lenses and overall i have been delighted with it. Honestly given the relativly large DOF of mFT and the AOV of the 20mm lenses just how many situations require sparkling AF speed.

Yes. But if you set the camera to not take a picture unless focus is confirmed, which means you don't alter the setting in most cases as this seems the default usually, the DoF does not help that much and you still have to wait until the camera is happy.

Also this is an excellent close up lens, and in close up situations the DoF is not that large, and the AF delay is quite apparent. It's mostly with people being unhappy with noticeable focus delay, even if this delay does not matter for the picture at all. The operator gets upset and the picture is lost

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow