ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Desorb
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Help me choose a DSLR/Compact, buying tmrw! Urgent
3 months ago

Hi all!

Tomorrow is the only free day I have and I will be purchasing my first proper camera, there's a bit of pressure for me to decide in the next half day (I'm so excited though!).

I'm going to split this into a few thoughts that I am trying to conclude on. Any opinions/advice in response would help a newbie out so much. ** Please bare with me, my thoughts are scattered and there's lots of them! **

1. So my absolute budget is $900AUD. I am using the photos to put on social media (Tumblr, Flickr, Facebook, Instagram) and not professionally. Main use of it will be portraits/nature/shots of people. (eg. I am not intending to sell any photos, or printing any photos out onto large frames etc).

2. Compact/Point and Shoot or DSLR? I am worried that I would be discouraged of the size of DSLR, leading me to not really taking the camera out to many places, which is where a compact would come in handy. I feel like a DSLR would be awkward to carry everywhere. I travel a fair bit. But I really want crystal clear image quality, which DSLR > Compacts (apparently). I want speed and little lag in the camera system. Although I want to learn, I am worried that I wouldn't really get out of auto mode.

3. Is it possible for a lens of a lens/camera kit to 'bottleneck' the camera body? Eg. if I buy a Nikon D5200 with a single lens kit, would that single lens be only using half of the body's actual potential? Would the 'basic-ness' of that kit lens affect the overall image quality?

4. A store is selling the Nikon D3300 and Nikon D5200 (single lens kits) at the same price. Which one would benefit me more? Physically they are very similar.

5. Are there any Canon DSLR's similar to the two Nikon's above, in the same price range?  (I kind of like the Canon physical appearance better).

6. What is the best possible compact I can buy with a $800 - $850 budget?

7. What memory card do I need? Is it worth paying the extra for a 'class 10' over 'class 4'.

Thank you so much!

Nikon D3300 Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow