I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,333Gear list
Like?
45 isn't THAT quick
In reply to RickPick, 5 months ago

RickPick wrote:

You shouldn't expect A/F miracles from a 5 year old design pancake lens. I did an informal test once between this lens and the Olympus 45mm, which is acknowledged to be quite fast. I tried this with a range of light levels. The difference in AFS, provided no hunting was induced, was barely noticeable. It does however take a long time to move focus from close to far away or vice versa.

The 45/1.8 is relatively quick to focus for a telephoto lens, but it is significantly slower than a lot of shorter lenses - particularly the 12/2.0 and 17/1.8 - and it does rack a little bit when moving between close and distant subjects.

S

If you read the little manual you will see that it is not intended for AFC and in fact does not work in that mode. Hence it is unsuitable for video work using auto focus.

If you use it as intended it is a very sharp and versatile lens.

Regards,

Rick

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow