Nikon dealer in LA

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon dealer in LA
In reply to LD_50, 4 months ago

I thought I'd provide an update.

I have since purchased the 200 f2 from B&H, which was not my preference. I should receive delivery tomorrow.

Two contrasting buying experiences in the last few days:

1) Ordered a monopod and head from Really Right Stuff. I called and they were able to ship immediately and deliver next day. I have purchased from RRS before and have nothing but great things to say about their products and customer service.

2) I visited Samy's and in speaking with the person at the counter (Nikon area) was not impressed.

-- hide signature --

I asked about availability of XQD cards and the person asked me which camera I was using. I presented my D4s (which I brought along in case there were any lenses to test). He said I needed CF cards, which I already have. I explained that I am specifically looking for XQD, and he did not know the D4s used these cards and had not heard of them. He then looked it up on the computer, and turned the screen to me to ask if what was showing on screen was what I was looking for. This was not a product page screen, rather a non-GUI inventory system with text listing. He ultimately said they have none available, but when asked why the quantity for several cards showed (1) instead of (0) he said perhaps they may have some on order. He could not tell me if that was the case. He suggested he could order them if I wanted them.

-- I asked about the 200 f2. He looked it up, again showing me the screen to ensure he was looking at the right lens (hard to believe a Nikon sales person would be unfamiliar with and unaware of two flagship type products in the D4s and 200 f2). He said he could order me the lens if I put down a deposit or paid up front. I asked if there was any time benefit (or any benefit at all) to purchasing this way rather than having it delivered directly to my home from the warehouse. He said Samy's online and the retail store operate independently so he cannot answer my question. When asked about viewing the lens in store before purchasing I was told that lenses of this price would not be viewable before purchase because owners would not want to deal with a lens that had been opened. This negates the purpose of retail for me.

I left the Nikon area of the store with the impression that the retail store is only valuable if they happen to have in stock what I'm looking for, and that stock has to be low-cost or common enough that they'll allow me to handle it. I have no issue with this but to say that I see no reason to choose retail buying if these types of policies exist.

The Sigma area employee was very knowledgable about the Sigma line and was very pleasant. We discussed the 35 and 50 ART lenses and when they were expecting to receive stock of the 50. He suggested he could order a 35 ART in F-mount if I wanted to see it before buying. He had sold a few 50s already but hadn't had any in stock to try one out.

Anyway, a new lens is on its way and I'll report back later with impressions. This sets up my kit nicely with D4s, 14-24, 58 1.4, 105 Micro, 200 f2, and a Sony RX1.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow