Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Speed Padre
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Hardware front focus. AF fine tune may help, but mine needed calibration
In reply to LesGoodey, 3 months ago

This issue obviously needs more attention. This is not the OPs fault. He does not have shotty technique or crappy glass.

Front Focus due to poorly calibrated af. AF fine tune is not the solution. (Poor precision, and variability in aF fine tune value needed at different focal lengths as well as focus distances)

This is typical behaviour for some d800's. Poor QC means register distance isn't recorded perfectly so the phase detection algorithms don't take-off from the right spot. Try the same shot in live view (it will be perfect), then get ready to send the camera to nikon for calibration that should have been done before it shipped. I've seen this issue on my d800 and a friend had the same issue. AF fine tune is not the solution. This is a hardware issue that needs to be addressed before you will reliably be able to use Phase detection on your camera. Luckily for everyone else, this only affects a few d800s... If you are within the window, exchange it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow